Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Structure projects

Anthony's presentation was beautiful - a multi-layered mixture of old and new, and in my attempts to avoid working on my paper for a few minutes, I thought I'd expound on playing cards/tarot cards. Indeed, I need a place to dump this information so that I can clear the space for all the projects we have due in the next 7-8 days. So, with your permission, I will give further explanation of the deck. It is believed that tarot cards probably originated in Italy in the 14th century, since their earliest usage dates to 1391. One story is that the Catholic Church, which forbade their usage, considered divination a criminal act (Thou shalt have no other gods before me) but ironically, kept them locked away. The actual deck of playing cards is said to be the tarot deck, minus the pictures - which kept the cards alive while subverting the wishes of the Catholic Church. Indeed, there are 13 cards in each suit of 4, totalling 52 cards, just as in the original tarot deck (once the deck was taken to France, the number of cards increased to 78). Another theory is that the tarot deck was in fact too powerful for the lay person and the Catholic Church felt the information needed to be controlled. One has to wonder as they did not exactly burn the cards.

The deck of cards originated as a tool to make calculations and estimations of time and the movements of the Earth and other planets around the sun (which ties in again with the structure of a calendar in Anthony's project), and it is possible that, because they have been mentioned in every major civilization, they could have existed in Atlantis, but Atlantis itself is quite mythical. Plato first mentioned the island in his dialogues Timaeus and Critias but its existence has never been proved. And with that, I bid adieu to the blog! I have to go anyway - The Magnificent Ambersons is on and I can only do three things at once. Thanks to everyone for your projects - I've learned so much.


No comments: